McDonalds sells more than 75 hamburgers every second! It is clear, Americans love the beefy goodness found in all variations of the classic burger. While it is easy to pull through a drive thru, even a Big Mac can’t compare to burgers hot off the backyard grill. With a few hints from the Wurstmeister, you will be serving up simple and delicious burgers in no time.
For the Burgers (serves 6):
- 2 1/4 lbs. hamburger, ground round, chuck or sirloin
- 2 tbs unsalted, melted butter or olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 hamburger buns
- 6 slices (1/2 inch thick) Vidalia or other sweet onion (optional)
- For the Toppings (any or all):
- Iceberg lettuce leaves
- Sliced tomato
- Sliced dill or sweet pickles
- Cooked bacon
- Ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise
- Preheat the grill to high
- Lightly wet hands and form 6 rounded patties, avoid over handling the patties
- Wash any cutting boards and bowls with hot water and plenty of soap after raw meat preparation
- Oil the grill grate
- Brush one side of the patties and onion slices with melted butter and season with salt and pepper. Place butter side down on the grill for approximately 4 minutes.
- Add butter and seasoning to topside before turning with a spatula and cooking for about 4 minutes. All burgers should reach an internal temperature of 160°F to kill any potential food contamination.
- During final 2 minutes of cook time, warm buns by buttering cut sides and placing on the grill. Set out toppings, place burgers and onion on buns and serve.