When you want a spicier bacon cheeseburger, here's our favorite!
Southwest Bacon Cheeseburger
- 1 ½ pounds 85% lean Ground Beef
- ½ pound Wurst Haus Mexican-style Chorizo (taken out of casing)
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 1 4-ounce can Green Chilies, diced and drained
- 1 medium Red Onion, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 6-8 slices Hickory Smoked Bacon, chopped and cooked until crisp
- Olive oil for grilling
- Hamburger Buns
- Suggested condiments: Guacamole, Chipotle Mayonnaise, Ketchup
- Heat a gas grill to high. Once fully heated brush the grill clean with a grill brush tool. Divide the hamburger buns to tops and bottoms; place the inside of each half face down on the grill to mark the buns and warm them (30 seconds to a minute; check frequently so they do not burn). Set aside.
- Lightly brush both sides of the onion slices with olive oil. Place full slices onto the grill and close the lid. Grill slices well on the first side then turn over, being careful to keep the slices intact as much as possible. Grill onions until they are translucent with grill markings (about 10 minutes). Remove from grill and set aside.
- Brush grill once more. Lightly brush each side of the chilled hamburger patties with olive oil. Place them onto the grill allowing space between them. Close the lid of the grill and allow them to cook for 3 minutes and develop a good sear.
- Gently turn the burgers over. Close lid and allow the burgers to cook an additional 6-8 minutes, checking for doneness by the burger color (should be browned and opaque), any juices coming from the burger naturally being clear (note: the chorizo can lend an orange tint to the juice) and lastly checking for an internal temperature of 160°F. Remove burgers and place them on a clean plate for 5 minutes to rest.
This is adapted from a Bobby Flay recipe.
· 1 cup mayonnaise
· 1 chipotle chili (from chipotle en adobo)
· 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
· Juice from ½ lime, freshly squeezed
Add all ingredients into a food processor. Process until fully combined and the chile is pulverized. Use immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.