BACON CRUMBLE APPLE PIE
Thanks to Rachel Ray for this savory Apple Pie recipe!
- 1/2 pound Hermann Wurst Haus Hickory Smoked Bacon
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter chilled and cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 Golden Delicious apples about 1 1/2 pounds total peeled, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 9-inch store-bought pie shell prebaked according to package directions
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp; drain and crumble. In a medium bowl, combine the flour and brown sugar; add the butter and, using your fingers, incorporate the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in the bacon and cheese; refrigerate.
- Line a baking sheet with foil. In a medium bowl, toss the apples with the granulated sugar and lemon peel. Transfer to the pie shell and sprinkle with the topping. Place the pie on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Cover loosely with foil and bake until golden and the apples are tender when pierced, 40 to 45 minutes; let cool before serving.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!