BEAN AND BACON SOUP
Perfect for a cold winter day! We use Grand Champion Hickory Smoked Bacon.
- 12 oz. Hermann Wurst Haus Hickory Smoked Bacon diced
- 1 cup onions diced
- 1 cup carrots diced
- cup cup celery diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cans Great Northern beans drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper
- 1 – 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- Cook the bacon in a Dutch oven or soup pot until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate. Discard all but about 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease.
- Add the onions, carrot and celery to the hot bacon grease. Cook over medium heat until they start to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional minute. Stir in the chicken broth and beans. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a bubble then reduce the heat to low and let the soup simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove half of the soup to a blender or food processor. Process until smooth. Return the puree to the soup pot and stir into the remaining soup. Add the tomato sauce and 3/4 of the reserved bacon and stir to combine. Taste and season to taste with salt and pepper. Let the soup simmer until it is heated through, about 5 minutes. Serve topped with the remaining bacon.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!