MAPLE BACON TWISTS
Applewood-Smoked Cinnamon Bacon adds a smoky, savory "twist" to Maple flavored pastries!
- 1/3 cup warm water (110°F) (110°F)
- 1/4 cup sugar divided
- 1 1/8 teaspoon yeast (1/2 packet)
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 12 slices Wurst Haus Applewood-Smoked Cinnamon Bacon par-cooked (see instructions below)
- Maple Glaze (recipe below)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
MAPLE BACON TWISTS
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the water, 1 tablespoon of sugar and yeast. Let mixture sit for 10 minutes to activate the yeast. Whisk in the remaining sugar, egg, and buttermilk. Add the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Knead the dough with the dough hook attachment until well combined, about 3 minutes. The dough will be very sticky.
- Transfer the dough to a large bowl coated lightly with cooking spray. Cover and leave in a warm draft-free place to rise until doubled in size, 1 1/2-2 hours.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and pat or roll it into a 1-inch thick rectangle, approximately 8×12 inches. Cut the dough into 12 (1×8 inch) rectangular pieces with a pizza cutter or sharp knife.
- Lay a slice of bacon on top of each piece of dough and twist 2-3 times to form a spiral, pinching the ends to adhere dough and bacon. Repeat with the remaining bacon and dough pieces. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oil in a deep fryer or large pot to 350°F.
- Deep fry the doughnuts, a few at a time, until the dough is fully cooked and the bacon is crisp, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a sheet pan lined with paper towels. Drizzle the doughnuts with Maple Glaze and let the glaze set before serving.
- Sift the powdered sugar into a medium bowl and whisk in the maple syrup, milk and vanilla until smooth. Transfer to a piping bag or squeeze bottle or cover until ready to use.
- Place two layers of paper towels on a microwave-safe plate. Lay desired amount of bacon in a single layer on top of paper towels and cover with 2 additional paper towels. Microwave bacon for 2-2 1/2 minutes, or 30 seconds per slice.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!